Richmond Park walk
Start: Richmond station
Finish: Ricmond station
Length: 10.49 km / 6.3 miles
This provided a pleasant stroll through Richmond Park, the Thames and parts of Ham that I didn't know existed. What's more, the section through Richmond Park tends to avoid the masses and especially the MAMILs. N.B. Google MAMIL if you're not sure.
Country Walking magazine provided the idea for this walk.
Richmond Green is overlooked by a mixture of period townhouses, historic buildings and municipal and commercial establishments including the Richmond Lending Library and Richmond Theatre. Very nice too.
Petersham Meadows were a part of the estate attached to Ham House from the early 17th Century until the latter years of the 19th Century. There have been cows grazing on Petersham Meadows from that time. None were visible today though.
Into Richmond Park and up the steep-ish, muddy slope towards Pembroke Lodge.
The view from the top.
The road and path leading out of Richmond Park towards Ham Common.
The path leading into Ham Common, a permissive bridleway.
The start of the Ham Avenues.
The historic avenues were developed in the 1670s by the owners of Ham House. The avenues radiated from the house as a display of wealth and power.
At the end of the Avenue you reach the gates of Ham House.
The house was built in 1610 by Sir Thomas Vavasour. It originally comprised an H-plan layout. The Thames-side location was ideal for Vavasour, allowing him to move between the courts at Richmond, London and Windsor.
Looking towards Richmond near to the Petersham Meadows. Most of this section of the Thames Path is liable to flooding, so expect detours on this walk after heavy rain.
The Star and Garter building. Designed by distinguished architect Sir Edwin Cooper R.A., it was opened by Queen Mary and King George V in 1924 as a home for Disabled Sailors, Soldiers and Airmen. But now, like just about everything in London and the surrounding area, it is being turned into a collection of luxury apartments. The former residents have been moved down the road to Surbiton.